Alcohol is the most abused substance in the United States. This is mainly because it’s legal for anyone above the age of 21, easily accessible, and affordable. While many people can limit their consumption to safe levels, many others practice heavy consumption that gradually grows into an addiction. TruVida Recovery offers alcohol treatment in Orange County for residents who want to attain sobriety. Our medical professionals and licensed therapists make sure that each patient receives individualized and evidence-based therapy that aids in recovery.
What is Alcohol Treatment?
Alcohol treatment refers to the process through which a person with a dependence on alcohol is helped to become sober. The three main steps involved are detoxification, rehabilitation, and after-care.
Detoxification rids the body of alcohol, while rehabilitation enables the patient to develop behaviors and skills that help them to recover from addiction. Alcohol counseling is an essential part of rehab that addresses the underlying causes of alcohol abuse.
After-care is aimed at maintaining the newly acquired soberness once the individual has completed their rehab program. This is crucial because of the high rate of relapse, which mostly occurs within the first 12 months after rehabilitation.
Who Needs Alcohol Treatment?
When it comes to alcohol addiction, it may be hard to admit you could be having a problem. If drinking alcohol is having an adverse effect on your life, then it might be time to consider getting help. Accepting that you have a problem is the first step to recovery. Next, you need to seek treatment from a reputable rehab facility.
Many people forego treatment because they don’t think their problem is severe. However, if you’re questioning whether you need help to become sober, you probably do.
The following criteria can help you establish whether you have an alcohol addiction disorder:
- Wanting to quit but you’re unable
- Dangerous use
- Lack of responsibility
- Lack of control
- Issues with relationships
- Spending so much time trying to get alcohol
- Loss of interest
- Worsening situations
If you meet two or three of the criteria, it’s advisable to get help to become sober
Health Complications Caused by Excessive Alcohol Consumption
Heavy consumption of alcohol over a long time can result in the following health complications:
- Liver Damage – Alcohol causes inflammation of the liver, eventually causing it to harden. This is known as cirrhosis, an irreversible liver disease that renders the organ incapable of carrying out its functions. If it progresses without treatment, it will eventually lead to liver failure, which can be fatal.
- Cancer – When alcohol is introduced into the body, the liver metabolizes it into acetaldehyde, which is a toxic substance that’s carcinogenic. Its presence in the body highly increases the risk of developing different types of cancers affecting the colon, rectum, esophagus, and mouth.
- Gastrointestinal Problems – Alcohol encourages the development of stomach ulcers, inflammation of the stomach lining, and acid reflux. It can also cause damage to the pancreas, which in turn compromises the digestion of food as this part is responsible for secreting digestive juices.
- Reproductive Health Issues – Excess alcohol in the blood leads to reproductive health complications in both genders. In men, it can cause erectile dysfunction, while it disrupts menstruation in women.
Seek Help to Get Sober
At TruVida Recovery, we offer comprehensive alcohol treatment in Orange County to help you live a sober life again. Contact us today on (877) 228-1102 to speak to one of our counselors confidentially about the program that will help you overcome alcohol abuse.Alcohol Treatment Orange County
View Larger Map